SOS MEDITERRANEE is a civil European association for rescue at sea founded in 2015. Facing the humanitarian tragedy and the lack of adequate rescue capacity in the Mediterranean on the deadliest migratory route in the world, a group of European citizens created a maritime and humanitarian association in order to: rescue the persons in distress at sea, protect and assist them, as well as testify about the realities of migration.
Today, SOS MEDITERRANEE is a network composed of four national associations (Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland) sharing the same mandate.
Search and Rescue (SAR) operations have been carried out since February 2016 in the Central Mediterranean off the Libyan coast, first with the ship Aquarius, and since July 2019 with the Ocean Viking. In total we rescued 31,618 people. Today, the annual cost of the rescue mission is around 7 M€ and is financed mostly by private donations.
Starting immediately, until the end of December 2021, SOS MEDITERRANEE is hiring an
INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (m/f/x)
For SOS MEDITERRANEE to run its SAR mission in the Central Mediterranean Sea, the four associations have developed fundraising activities in their respective countries. Under the responsibility of the board of General Directors and Director of Operations (EXCOM), your role as International Development Director is to promote SOS MEDITERRANEE’s brand and presence in additional countries and in particular to generate funding from those new markets.
The main objectives of the position are as follows:
- You will actively explore new potential fundraising opportunities, including new sectors or new fundraising markets (UK, US…), according to the priorities determined by the EXCOM
- You will present a mapping of the best opportunities and prepare a development plan for short and mid-term options (2020 – 2021)
- You will be responsible for implementing several options and raising funds in new markets
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Draft a global SOS MEDITERRANEE international fundraising strategy
- Analyze and identify potential new donors in the European Union outside of the current SOS MEDITERRANEE associations as well as in the USA, Canada, Norway, etc.
- Introduce and liaise with potential new donors
- Analyze opportunities and develop new fundraising activities
- Use your existing international network to develop long term partnerships, identify new high net worth individuals and secure funding
- Develop and draft project proposals in close coordination with SOS MEDITERRANEE’s Operations Department.
- Liaise with the four SOS MEDITERRANEE associations and their respective fundraising teams
- Participate in the regular senior management meeting of SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Identify the means needed to pursue the development of SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Set up and implementation of the development strategy
- Relevant work experience (at least 10 years) in the field of international fundraising and development and international donor relationships
- Successful proven track record in project proposal writing
- Established contacts and networks in the donor community
- Proven track record in business development in the non-profit/NGO sector
- Committed to the vision, mission, and values of SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proficiency in written and spoken English (at least C1); French, German, and Italian language skills are added values
- Proven track record in managing a team
- Excellent reporting ability
- High adaptability for change and comfortable dealing with complexity, stress, and competing demands with grace and a sense of humor
- Familiarity with MS office and skilled in the use of IT tools
The position can be based in either of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s offices in Geneva, Paris, Marseille, or Berlin, and will entail frequent travels. Both a salaried position as well as a freelance opportunity are possible. The start date of employment is as soon as possible. We can currently offer an employment contract until the end of December 2021. Based on achieved results and organizational need there is a prospect for extension.
Please send your application (CV, cover letter including salary expectations, and references) before May 3rd to email@example.com and indicate «Application International Development Director» as the subject of your email.
SOS MEDITERRANEE is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds.