Logistician and administrative operations coordinator
(Search And Rescue – Central Mediterranean)
based in Marseille
SOS MEDITERRANEE is a civil European rescue association founded in 2015. Facing the humanitarian tragedy and the lack of adequate rescue capacity in the Mediterranean on the deadliest migratory route in the world, a group of European citizens created a maritime and humanitarian association in order to rescue the persons in distress at sea, to protect and assist them, as well as to testify about the realities and many faces of migration.
Today, SOS MEDITERRANEE is a network composed of four national associations (Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland) sharing the same mandate. Search and Rescue (SAR) operations have been carried out continuously since February 2016 in the Central Mediterranean off the Libyan coasts with the ship Aquarius, chartered by SOS MEDITERRANEE and operated in partnership with Médecins Sans Frontières. In 30 months of operations, the teams on the Aquarius have been able to rescue and assist almost 30.000 persons. The operations cost around 4M€ per year and are financed more than 90% by private donations.
SOS MEDITERRANEE is recruiting asap a logistician and administrative coordinator for its Department of Operations. Based in Marseille (France) under the responsibility of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s Director of Operations, the logistician and administrative coordinator contributes to structure SOS MEDITERRANEE’s Operation Department. The logistician and administrative coordinator will be in charge of supporting the setting, the follow up and to ensure the proper functioning of the Administrative, logistic and HR activities in a challenging, highly sensitive and quick evolving European environment.
Description of tasks and responsibilities:
The logistician and administrative coordinator is responsible for the proper functioning of the logistics and administrative in compliance with the procedures of SOS MEDITERRANEE. He /she is in charge of the good logistic, procurement and HR management for the Operation Department.
The Logistician and Administrative coordinator is part of the on-shore operational team, with the Communication Manager, the SAR Manager, the Maritime Manager, the Deputy Director of Operations and the Director of Operations.
Human Resources: He/She is in charge of the activities related to administrative and human resource management;
Logistical support: He/She oversees logistical operations, supporting supplies, equipment and organization of movements;
Administrative and Financial Support in coordination with SOS Med France Financial Department: He/She is the focal point for administrative, financial and internal control topics, ensures compliance with relevant procedures and provides information to SOS Med France Financial Department to help issue accurate and regular budget follow-up
Human Resources management:
- Participates in recruiting and contracting the SAR team (14 members on board including Comms officer, photographer, research & evidence officer), including organizing briefings and de-briefings;
- Plans, organizes and supervises in close collaboration with the Maritime Manager and the SAR Manager every port call and crew-change: transportation tickets, accommodation
- Deals the short term contract together with maritime company and the SAR crew (including the preparation of all documents necessary for SAR team members)
- Supervise for SOS staff members all official immigration documents, and legal compliance with authorities;
- Follows up on HR contractual situation (including sickness report and other necessities) for SAR team members;
- Validates SAR team members expenses and travel claim before payment;
- Participates in and supervises the setting up of a more comprehensive HR system for SAR crew together with Ops Team;
- Oversees the accurate invoicing of the maritime company for the SAR crewing and medical care reimbursements.
Logistics and supply chain:
- Participates in supervising technical and logistical needs for the SAR operations, with the support of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s operations team or external specialists / technicians on shore;
- Supervises and guarantees the maintenance, cleaning and supply of the Operations office in Marseille;
- Ensures a transparent management & coherent information on service supply chain processes within the process of SOS Med;
- Provides support services and timely execution of all logistic tasks, maintenance and repairs for the effective management of equipment, material, facilities in coordination with the ship and the Maritime Manager;
- Provides a timely support to the Maritime Manager with the purchase and the supply chain for the ship;
- Elaborates a catalogue of classification suppliers and products for the supply (purchase, transport, storage), in connection with the Ops team;
- Provides quotation from different suppliers upon request;
- Develops framework agreements with service providers whenever is needed;
- Assists the SAR team on board during disembarkation and port-call wherever and whenever they might occur.
Procurement and finance:
- Carries out procurement related activities (supply, transportation and all validated purchases), ensuring taxes compliance and proper documentation and filing of procurement process;
- Manages direct payments and correct validation of invoices before payment in respect of SOS Med thresholds;
- Centralises and validates before payment the operations teams travel claims and supporting documentation, provides the analytical allocation/budgetary lines of transactions;
- Ensures to provide the finance department with a monthly and accurate follow-up of expenses under his/her responsibility and to properly file the corresponding invoices and supporting documentation;
- Ensures the implementation and follow-up of the internal control and procurement procedures and management tools; He/She also participates in the validation of procurement files as well as their appropriate classification;
Is in charge of following-up engaged expenses
Provides, upon request, budget preview.
- Provides access to the different ports for the team and the visitors;
- Verifies, possibly with the support of an external expert, the best way to comply with national and European legal frame concerning taxes and customs;
- Provides legal advice upon request;
- Provides oral and writing reports at least on a monthly basis;
- Provides, upon request of the Director of Operations, any extra task to this job description.
Other general activities
- Provides logistics/ Admin/ HR coaching /training to the team on board and on shore, when needed;
- Upon request of the European network, and after official approval of the Director of Operations, participates in representative events or specific actions within the civil society.
Job qualifications and requirements:
- Committed to the vision, mission and values of SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Proven management skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Sound teamwork experience
- Ability to work in an international structure with a strong civil mobilization and many volunteers
- Readiness to take decisions and responsibilities
- Excellent reporting ability
- Familiarity with MS Office and skilled in the use of ICT
- At least 5 years of professional experience of which at least 3 years in humanitarian environment in an equivalent position
- Master’s degree in Finance management or Accounting or other related field (HR, administration, logistic)
- Driving License B and E mandatory
- Knowledge and understanding of ship management structures and practices, charter parties and related issues are a strong advantage
- Knowledge of migration issues and context of the Mediterranean are an advantage.
- Fluent in English and French, both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of Arabic, Italian and/or German is an advantage
Terms of contract:
Permanent and full time contract
Starting as soon as possible
Based in Marseille
Regular Europe-wide travel
Regular evenings and week-end work
Week-end and holidays on-call duties.
Annual gross salary: to be discussed according to the candidate’s professional experience.
Salary advantages: Ticket restaurant, French health complementary insurance. Five weeks of paid leaves and recovery for extra hours.
Please send your application (CV and cover letter) in English no later than 30th November 2018 via email to email@example.com and indicate “Application Logistician and administrative operations coordinator” as the subject of the email.